Ways to prevent HIV
HIV is a virus and AIDS is a symptom of that virus. HIV is spread through fluids like semen, blood, rectal fluids, breast milk and vaginal fluids. To reduce your risk of getting infected by this virus, you need to be careful with many functions that you may carry out including sexual intercourse. Here are a few ways in which you can avoid your risk of getting infected and protect yourself from the same.
- Use protection when you are indulging in any sexual activity.
- Do not inject drugs since needles can be carriers of this infection.
- Do not share your equipment like a medicated injection with anyone else.
- In case you do not have the HIV yet and are still scared that you might be showing the symptoms, immediately consult your doctor and get the necessary tests performed to know for sure.
- You can ask your doctor if you are in need of a specific medicine that reduces your risk of HIV infections.
- Anyone can be exposed to the virus at some point in their lives. However, it is important for you to protect yourself from the same.
- Get tested for the infection and know if your partner has it too. If you are concerned, you can talk to your partner about getting tested for any infections or STDs.
- Have protected sexual intercourse. Always use a condom and do not rely on contraceptive pills since they only prevent you from getting pregnant and do not protect you from any sexually transmitted disease.
- Limit the number of sexual partner since the more partners you have, the more exposed you are to the virus.
- Talk to your health specialist and get frequent STD tests performed on yourself even if it is before or after each of your partners.
- Do not inject drugs or use needles that are not taken fresh out of a sterile and closed packet.
Any other symptoms related to other infections must also be duly checked from time to time so that you eliminate the possibility of HIV and AIDS.