Tips to choose the perfect electric wheelchair
For seniors confined to a wheelchair temporarily to recuperate from an injury or illness and for those bound to wheelchairs permanently because of deformities or accidents, the electric wheelchair brings cheer. The independence in mobility that the electric wheelchair offers is physically and emotionally liberating. The freedom to be able to do things without having to depend on another person all the time is morale boosting and results in a better quality of life.
When the need to purchase an electric wheelchair arises, there are many options available. Here are a few pointers to help choose the best electric wheelchair:
- Which electric wheelchair to buy: A basic lightweight one or a solid one with a lot of features and accessories?
- What is the frame type required: Should it be collapsible or be dismantled fully after use? Can the electric wheelchair be folded quickly in an emergency situation? Is it compact enough to fit in a car and through narrow doors?
- Where is it going to be used: Is the utility strictly indoors, outdoors, or in both places alternately? Is it going to be frequently used in a single story or multi-level space with stairs and lifts?
- How many miles can the electric wheelchair cover: How many miles can be covered using the electric wheelchair before it needs repairs or servicing? What is the maximum speed of the electric wheelchair?
- Who is going to use the electric wheelchair: Is the senior who needs the electric wheelchair petite or heavily built, short or tall? Depending on these, a suitable wheelchair that best fits the patient with proper ground clearance can be chosen.
What are the features required
Ensure the following questions are catered to:
- Fixed seat or swiveling seat
- 16, 18 or 20” size
- Immovable or height adjustable
- Stiff or ergonomically designed
- Are there seat or lap belts for safety and baskets for carrying things
- Are the footrests rigid or can they be removed
The prices of electric wheelchairs vary greatly depending on whether it is brand new or used. Find one that suits your needs and budget.